BI Validator supports testing of SAP Business Objects (BO) versions 3.1, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. BI Validator supports the use of Business Objects .Net SDK or the REST API to connect to the Business Objects environment. The REST API was introduced from Business Objects 4.x versions. SAP is gradually phasing out the Business Objects SDK in favor of the REST API. SDK is the only option for connecting to Business Object 3.1.
If you want to compare Business Objects versions 3.1 and 4.0 with newer versions such as 4.1/4.2, Datagaps recommends using the .Net SDK.
As a BI Validator user you have the option to use either the .Net API or the REST API assuming that your Business Objects version is v4.1 or higher.
Some of the considerations for selecting the options are listed below:
- If you are trying to connect to Business Objects v3.1 or v4.0, then the only option is the .Net API.
- The BO REST API Server may not run in some environments. In such cases, use .Net API.
- There are minor differences in terms of functionality between the BI Connection created using the .Net API and the REST API. One major difference is that the REST API connection allows retrieving of the prompt values along with the list of required prompts.
High-Level Steps for Adding a Business Objects Connection
Below are the high-level steps for adding a Business Objects connection.
- Mouse hover over the BI Connection menu icon and select BUSINESS OBJECTS from the options that appear. The Add Business Objects Connection wizard appears with the Credentials page.
- On the Credentials page, enter connection details and click Test to verify whether the connection is established successfully.
- Click Save and exit the wizard page.
Business Objects Connection Wizard
The pages you need to set up in the Business Objects connection wizard are described in the sequence below
The following image is the Connection Details page:
Enter a connection name for the Business Objects tool.
BI Validator Groups
Select groups that will have access to the Business Object connection.
BI Launchpad URL
Enter the BI Launchpad URL in the format as http://:
Enter the Central Management Console (CMS) details in the format as < host name > : < port number >. The CMS system is the database that stores BI platform information, such as user, server, folders, tables, views and much more.
Enter a username of the Business Objects connection.
Enter the password for the Business Objects user.
Select an authentication type from the drop-down list.
Select the SDK type from the drop-down list. Available types are DOTNET and REST. Please refer to the details mentioned in the introduction above.
Rest Logon URL
Enter the Rest URL if you have selected the SDK Type as REST. Leave this field blank if the SDK Type is DOTNET.
Click to verify whether the connection is successful.
Click to save the Business Objects connection.
If any of the above information is unknown to you, please contact your Business Objects administrator.
If your organization has set up Business Objects in the Single Sign-On environment and verifies user authentication against the Active Directory or Selenium, you can enable and configure the SSO/Web details for the Business Objects connection.
© Datagaps. All rights reserved.
Send feedback on this topic to Datagaps Support